Everyone’s got one (or more), but no one likes to share it! Well, I’m going to! Part of my commitment to change is organization, and our two kitchen junk drawers are my number one offenders at the moment!
So, I did the most logical thing and dumped both of them out on our family room floor and decided to just start from scratch!
After dumping it all out, I categorized all the contents and separate them into separate piles. This gave me a clear idea of the contents that were actually forming all this clutter…
After I paired items down, put misplaced items in their proper home (in other rooms- mainly the office and garage), and just flat-out got rid of trash, I was able to refill the empty drawers. But before I could do that, I knew I had to come up with an organization solution, and I didn’t want to have to run to the store or spend money… so this is what I came up with!
- Extra rubberized carpet pad (top left corner of the picture above)
- Miscellaneous small tupperware
How I used it all:
- Cut carpet pad to size of each tupperware bottom
- Place tupperware in drawers
- Fill tupperware with appropriately-sized items (keys, batteries, tape, etc)
- Arrange remaining area with larger items, placing carpet pad cut to size beneath to prevent sliding when drawer is opened and shut
Here’s the final product! Do you notice what happened here??? No? Well… let me tell you! We paired down, threw away, and put away… and in the end, TWO junk drawers became only ONE highly organized, effective go-to drawer!
I honestly had been delaying this project because I thought I needed some fancy drawer organizer to be effective, but in the end, it turned out that I had everything I needed on-hand!
I’m linking up…